Football season is now in full swing and every team has their eyes on getting from game one to the playoffs and then the big game. Even as each team and each player on their respective teams keeps their eyes on the prize, it is important to note that we too have a prize to look forward to. The end of the year is fast approaching and there are many goals that we all have set for ourselves that we wish to accomplish by then.
This week and today in particular marks the beginning of the fourth quarter. Note the statement, fourth quarter. It is not the last or final quarter. Although you may say that this is playing semantics, what needs to be understood here is that it is never final when God is involved. It truly is the fourth quarter. Should your goals not be met at the conclusion of the fourth quarter, god has a way of setting you up for overtime.
Let’s think about this for a moment. There was a certain battle in which Joshua led the people of Israel against the Amorites. The Lord had already promised them victory, and surely they were winning. Yet night was quickly coming and complete victory had not been complete. God instructed Joshua to command the sun to stand still until they had completely overtaken their enemy.
Whether you have done well this year thus far or not, it is not too late to come out on top with overwhelming victory. If you know that God has promised it to you, this is the quarter to see it through. Don’t be discouraged by trying to keep score or keep time. All of those things are in the hand of God. What matters on your end is reviewing your plans, maintaining your pace, and remaining connected.
- Reviewing Your Plan: Normally, half time is the point at which game plan reviews take place to let you know what strategies have worked, what needs modification, where things need to be tightened up, and where you can cut loose. In the fourth quarter, you pretty much have a handle on all of this. Implementing it and making sure that your attention is where it needs to be.
- Maintaining Your Pace: Once you know what’s working for you, it is typically best to be sure that you are playing your game and not that of your opponent. This means keeping the pressure on and working your offensive.
- Remaining Connected: The most critical thing, as with anything is remaining connected to your source (i.e. your coach). God is always the one calling the plays from His vantage point because He sees it all. Staying connected allows for you to make those quick adjustments as needed to ensure that you maximize your outcome. And even when you’re winning, God doesn’t want you to just inch out a narrow victory. He wants to make your enemy His footstool. To do that, you can’t have an outcome that can be disputed as even possibly having gone the other way. It must be certain and sure.
Don’t focus your remaining time on what you see or don’t see. Continue to press forward to the certain victory that has been promised to you. Enjoy and celebrate every bit of ground that you are taking in His name. Listen to the voice of the Lord as He gives instructions to assure you of the victory which was promised.
QUESTION: How confident are you in this fourth quarter that you’ve entered?
- Getting it done in the fourth quarter (espn.go.com)
- PC market grows 16 percent in fourth quarter (lenovo.com)
- Fighting to the Finish (denverbroncos.com)