Recently I had the pleasure of reading Kouzes and Posner’s book Christian Reflections on the Leadership Challenge. While this was required reading for a class I took on Christian Leadership, it was quite insightful and enlightening for me. Within the pages of this very quick read James Kouzes and Barry Posner highlight the five practices of exemplary leadership, which they state consists of “Modeling the Way, Inspiring a Shared vision, Challenging the Process, Enabling Others to Act, and Encouraging the Heart.”
What I love about this is not only how simple of a read this book is, it gets right to the point of each of the key practices that great leaders possess, why it’s important, and why we should strive to incorporate these traits as leaders.
What is unique about this book is that right from the start of it, the authors let you know that “leadership is everyone’s business”. This, for me is the main reason why I am recommending it:
- If you have a desire to lead
- If you are a leader
- If you want to improve as a leader
- If you have a desire to model the way for those you lead
- If you desire to inspire others
- If you wish to enable others
- If you hope to encourage those you lead
- If you wish to challenge the process.
Leading people always has it’s challenges, but having tools such as this resource goes very far in equipping you for the task and enabling you to move from one level to another. I hope that if you choose to pick this up you will equally find it to be helpful and enjoyable.
- Ed Stetzer on Transformational Church Leadership (blackchristiannews.com)
- Focus On Leadership Before Marketing (business2community.com)